Float TherapyFirst Time Floating
If it is your first time experiencing float therapy, you may not know what to expect. Float tanks in Vancouver are becoming popular as a way to soothe and heal one’s body and mind. At Salt Wellness Centre in South Surrey, our goal is to ensure you have a blissful first time float experience.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your first float. Our knowledgeable staff will introduce you to our facility and give you a brief orientation to prepare you for your float. Before you float, we have a few guidelines that will make your experience more comfortable:
- Ensure you are well hydrated the day of your float therapy session. We offer Santevia Filtered water and Tea in our Relaxation Lounge.
- Use the washroom before entering your Float Room. Trust us, you don’t want to have to get up to go repeatedly during your float.
- Eat a light meal or snack a few hours before floating. There is nothing more startling hearing your stomach growl while you were floating in peace.
- It is ok to exercise before your float. Some clients find their recovery is better when floating after exercise.
- Avoid caffeine before your float.
- Do not shave the day of your appointment. Although you can cover up minor cuts and scratches before your float, shaving before entering the high concentration of Epsom Salts will sting.
Choosing a Float Room
Our wave float room is perfect for those who want a bit of extra space. With high ceilings and easy access, beginner floaters who might be a bit claustrophobic have nothing to worry about. The Wave Float Room features a clear glass entry door, a beautiful white interior with a uniquely styled contour ceiling, client-controlled LED, underwater color light therapy, and sparkling-clean water.
Oasis Float Tank
Our Oasis float tanks are a more traditional model of an isolation tank. It is a lightless, soundproof tank, allowing you to experience true R.E.S.T (Restricted External Stimulus Therapy) and truly enjoy being unplugged. The Oasis Tank door is set 22” from the ground at an angle, making it easy to step in and out of. The door handles are located both inside and outside for your convenience.
Getting Ready to Float
After the pre-float orientation, the Salt Wellness Centre staff will take you to your own private Float Room. (Please remember to lock the door from the inside.) The room has a high quality shower. It is important to shower pre and post float. The pre-float shower ensures the quality of the Float Tank water stays pristine. Showering and rinsing your hair removes oils and contaminants from your body. Showering post float helps remove the Epsom Salt from your hair and body.
We provide the following:
- Towels: One bath towel and one small hand towel. We recommend taking the smaller towel into the tank with you. Hang it on the inside rail. This will come in handy if you happened to get water on your face.
- Clothing Hooks and a bath robe
- Vaseline and Q-Tips
- Ear Plugs: Silicone and Foam are provided. Use the one you are more comfortable with.
- A Styling station complete with Hair Gel, Contact Lens Solution, Hairdryers and a large Mirror for after your float.
- Nekdoodle (Float Neck support)
Time to Float
You can expect to be floating for about an hour and a half (90 minutes), typically, during which you may choose to relax and clear your mind, or actively float with meditation or other mental techniques. Either way, flotation therapy will offer you various benefits.
The water will be a comfortable temperature, heated to match the temperature of your skin. This helps the feeling of being in water fade away as you become still. Salt makes the water incredibly buoyant so there will be no pressure on your body at all. This frees your body and mind from sensory input so you are truly able to relax. Breathe and relax. Let go of any racing thoughts. This may take a while. Muscles may ache as they relax, this is normal. It becomes easier with each additional float.
You can position your arms either above or below your head. Find the position that feels more comfortable to you. Avoid touching your face and eyes. Epsom salt will sting. Use the small hand towel provided to wipe the water from your face.
Relax Post float. Give yourself time to enjoy your post-float experience. Sit and relax with a Tea or Water in our Relaxation Lounge. Our staff are there to talk about your experience if you want to share, or write it in our Salty Journal.
Whether you are interested in float therapy for the mental benefits, or to help treat bodily issues like migraines, arthritis, or other pain, it is certainly worth trying! Once you have stepped into the world of float therapy you will understand why so many others are visiting float tanks in Vancouver, and it might just become a part of your regular routine.